Friday, December 6, 2019

Love Letters Exhibition

40 West Gallery  
1560 Teller Street 
Lakewood, CO 80214

Exhibition Dates:  December 6, 2019 - January 4, 2020

Gallery Hours:  Wednesday - Saturdays,  Noon - 4 pm.

I have one piece in the exhibition:  "Ode to a Still Life".....

Ode to a Still Life, Oil on Canvas 24" x 30"

I wrote this love letter for the exhibition:

I love painting! 
Especially painting with texture. 
And, I love flowers.
I love painting flowers with texture! 

It’s as simple as that. 

I spend my days doing what I love: painting with texture!



I first painted this canvas with my left-over dried up paint. I didn't want to throw the paint away into the landfill. After a painting session I would take my pallet knife and apply the thick paint "here and there" on the canvas. Once the paint was built up on the canvas, I was ready to move forward. First, I painted the entire canvas and paint mounds gray, because I had too many conflicting colors. Then I began looking for flowers and other images in the paint texture. The still life emerged over time. It was a delightful process of discovery.

I'm not much of a Still Life painter. It's too boring to have the image never move or change light. However, I did have fun creating this Still Life out of my imagination spurred on by the blobs of paint. Of course, the painting had to be created from my internal muse, because the vase is way, way, way too small to hold the arrangement.

No comments:

Post a Comment